Hello, I’m David, a software engineer working in London.
I’m Head of Engineering at Octopus Energy, a tech-focussed UK energy supplier. I help run a team of engineers writing the software that underpins the business. If you’d like to work with me, get in touch via email@example.com
Previously I’ve worked as:
- Director of Engineering at Yoyo Wallet, a payments and loyalty start-up;
- a Technical Director (and various other roles) at Tangent Snowball, a digital agency;
- an Operational Researcher at HM Revenue and Customs.
One of my strengths is building and running teams that write high-quality, maintainable software.
Everything to do with software; but especially:
- Software design, patterns and architecture.
- Tests, testing and TDD (I’m a keen advocate of London-school TDD and Discovery testing).
- Unix, Bash and working at the command-line (I originally wrote the site commandlinefu.com).
- AWS, the “Hashistack”, infrastructure-as-code.
- The practices of effective teams: code review, continuous deployment, pairing etc
- Discovery testing, PyLadies June 2017, London
- How to write a view, DjangoCon EU June 2015, Cardiff
- Oscar and the art of Django applications, PyCon PL 2014, Szczyrk, Poland
- “Beware of the box”, eCommerce Expo 2014, London
- An introduction to django-oscar, DjangoCon EU 2014, Ille De Embiez, France
- A smörgåsbord of testing, PyConUK 2013, Coventry, UK
- Writing a Django e-Commerce framework, OSCON 2012, Portland, USA
- Migrating from PHP to Python and Django, ConFoo 2012, Montreal, Canada
- Writing a Django e-Commerce framework, ConFoo 2012, Montreal, Canada
- Commandlinefu for web developers, ConFoo 2011, Montreal, Canada
Plus several talks for local Python/Django user groups. Assorted slidedecks are available on Speakerdeck.
I have a PhD in Applied Mathematics as well as a 1st class MMath Mathematics degree from the University of Nottingham and a few published papers:
- Sqrt(5):2 mode interactions on a square lattice
Int. J. Bif. and Chaos 14 11 3883-3897
- Oscillatory pattern formation with a conservation law
Nonlinearity 18 1031-1056
D.M. Winterbottom, P.C. Matthews, S.M. Cox
- Pattern Formation in a Model of a Vibrated Granular Layer
SIAM J. Appl. Dyn. Syst. 7(1) 63-78
D.M. Winterbottom, S.M. Cox, P.C. Matthews
I play chess as “cookedegg” on gameknot.com (challenges welcome).